Monday, August 29, 2005

Answer questions with respect

Here's a piece of advice from the weekly tips of my friend and fellow speaker, Kelley Robertson. If you are not in sales, don't skip over this. Instead, think about the way you respond to questions from your subordinates and colleagues, and how you might be inadvertently souring your relationships with them. Here's the article.

I can’t get over how often employees make their customers feel stupid. It usually happens when the customer is unfamiliar with, or lacks knowledge of, the product they need or want. The employee is asked a “stupid” question and their tone often has a sarcastic tone while their body language shows frustration. In their attempt to “educate” their customers, they come across as condescending and superior. Here’s an example,
I recently tackled some home renovations (I’m the first to admit that this is NOT my primary area of expertise). I needed a few tools and when I asked the store employee how to use them, he spoke to me like I had left my brain at home. It was obvious he forgot that not all men are “Handy Andy’s.”
His actions cost the company that sale along with any other possible future sale from my household. I’m sure he didn’t intend this, but nonetheless, I will never, ever consider buying from that company or recommend it to anyone I know.
You may know everything about your product or service but just because your customer doesn’t, does not mean they are stupid. Watch your tone EVERYTIME you talk to your customers and prospects.

Kelley Robertson, President of the Robertson Training Group, is a professional speaker and trainer on sales, negotiating, and employee motivation. He is also the author of “Stop, Ask & Listen – Proven Sales Techniques to Turn Browsers into Buyers.” For information on his programs, visit his website at www.RobertsonTrainingGroup.com. Receive a FREE copy of “100 Ways to Increase Your Sales” by subscribing to his 59-Second Tip, a free weekly e-zine available at his website. You can also contact Kelley at 905-633-7750 or email him directly at Kelley@robertsontraininggroup.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home