Monday, January 02, 2006

Managing people: problem with year-end evaluations

I've always worried about the whole concept of year-end reviews. It seems to me there is too much of a tie-in with salary increases --- or lack of them --- for anyone to really benefit from the opportunity for improvement that they could provide.

This article from News-Leader.com agrees with my point of view, and suggests periodic "check-ins" as an alternative. I like it. Do you? Check it out, and then come back and leave me a comment about what you think. Here's the link.

News-Leader.com | Business

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger Henry Jenkins said...

If the only contact you have with your employees regarding their performance is once a year, you are probably a mediocre manager. I have discussions on an ongoing basis with my staff including:

1. Performance via public praise/private criticism when something worth noting occurs. No time like the present.

2. Biweekly topics, where I try to get the employee to stretch his/her skills by assigning something different and following up every two weeks.

3. Quarterly chats -- I used to have these more often, but we've been given the "less is more" mandate and I've fallen behind. I used to discuss quarterly performance and expectations during these to make sure that the formal annual review contained no surprises.

Within the annual review I also place goals to help the employee advance their career -- weaknesses to shore up, skills to learn, that sort of thing.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Helen Wilkie said...

This is definitely the way to go in my opinion, Henry.

The guests on my Manager's Day Trip interviews described doing similar things with their people. Want to hear what else they had to say? Visit
http://www.TheManagersJourney.com and follow the pop-up link to free recordings of the three interviews.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home